Louisiana is a state rich with history and culture. If you haven’t had the chance to experience everything the area has to offer, it’s time to check out why you should be calling Louisiana “home”. Whether it’s Harvey, Marrero, Baton Rouge, Metairie or New Orleans, Safeguard Self Storage wants to help get you there.
1. There’s a festival for that! But seriously, there’s always cause for celebration here in Louisiana. In fact, more than 400 festivals occur each year ranging from the Ponchatoula Strawberry Festival, Breaux Bridge Crawfish Festival, Franklin Parish Catfish Festival and many more. You can almost always count on some delicious food and friendly people.
2. Speaking of food…we’ve got a lot to say. First off, you have to know the difference between “Cajun” and “Creole”. Outside of Louisiana, the words are sometimes used interchangeably, but natives know the difference. The difference in taste is that Creole dishes often use tomatoes while most genuine Cajun food does not. However, if you’re looking for a more historical and in depth comparison, check out this article.
Whether it’s Cajun or Creole, it’s bound to be delicious. Louisiana dishes may sometimes seem strange, but they take pride in turning your opinion around once you get a taste. You’ll get the chance to try gumbo, étouffée, jambalaya, muffuletta, po’boy and red beans and rice. Seafood such as shrimp, crawfish, crabs, oyster and catfish is fresh and plenty. Try hosting a crawfish boil; here’s one of our favorite recipes.
3. Record holding. As far as holding architectural records, Louisiana has got a couple to boast. The state’s capitol building in Baton Rouge is the tallest in the country. Inaugurated in 1932, and standing 450 feet tall (34 stories), it makes quite an impression. While the capitol building boasts height, the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway has got length covered. Connecting Metairie and Mandeville and stretching 23.87 miles long, it holds the Guinness World Record for longest continuous bridge over water.
4. “Laissez les bons temps rouler.” Or, “let the good times roll” is the unofficial motto of the state. Whether it’s the musical roots, delicious cuisine, or commitment to having a good time, Louisiana residents are happy and it shows. They love to move at their own pace, keeping things nice, natural, and calm. They reflect the local bayous, or slow moving rivers, just taking life one day at a time.
5. Beignets. Yes, we know we already hit the food part of Louisiana. But beignets deserve their own category. A square of fried dough eaten hot and sprinkled with confectioners’ (powdered) sugar, it’s like a sweet cloud passing over your taste buds. Eat them alone or dip them in chocolate, caramel, or a fruit sauce, then pair your sweet treat with some Community Coffee. Before you know it you’ll be smiling just like the rest of the Louisianans.
Enchanting landscapes, delicious food, and some of the friendliest people around make Louisiana a great place to experience. If living in Louisiana is in your cards, be sure to look at Safeguard’s Storage Facilities in Harvey, Marrero, Baton Rouge, Metairie and New Orleans. Not only will they give you extra space when you settle in, but they’ll make the move much easier. Come enjoy all the excitement Louisiana has to offer, and let Safeguard help get you there.