Those who avoid going out into the cold or resolved to spend less money this year find new reason to get out to try fine cuisine throughout Brooklyn, NY. That’s thanks to New York Restaurant Week, the semiannual event that takes place January 18 to February 5. It features numerous restaurants offering fine cuisine at an affordable price. But it’s not just customers and restaurants that benefit. Safeguard storage units is sharing how business owners in Brooklyn, NY, can capitalize on this exciting event.
Create Your Own Business Buzz During Restaurant Week
While some business owners sit back and watch people walking by their storefront and heading to the nearest restaurant, you can view them all as potential customers. By targeting restaurant goers during this week, you'll not only increase your customer base but spread your brand to different areas beyond Brooklyn NY.
1. Announce a major sale.
Nothing grabs consumer interest quite like a sale. However, you don't have to spend a lot of money on TV ads. You only need to create some fliers to hand out and place by your store. Prep them ahead of time and keep them in business storage till it’s time to hand them out. With all the additional eyes that will read your advertisement, it’s money well spent!
2. Team up with a participating restaurant.
You can always team up with a participating restaurant to bring in more customers for both businesses. For example, your business could offer a percentage off a meal if a customer spends a certain amount at your store. The restaurant could also offer a coupon to your store if the customer buys a particular meal at a set price. By working together, you increase sales at both establishments.
3. Offer freebies for those walking by.
People love getting free stuff whether it's a new key chain or a straw cup with a cool printed logo – and this is especially the case for tourists in the area. Look in your storage units for items that could be given away during Restaurant Week. You may have some older items that are simply taking up space and could be used as an incentive to shop at your store.
Restaurant Week Isn't Just for Restaurants
You don't have to own a restaurant to reap the rewards of Restaurant Week. Simply create posters and fliers ahead of time, and store them away until you need them. With Safeguard Self Storage, you can store your sales ads and products in convenient storage units until later use. We have business storage available with as much space as you need to keep all of your items ready to go.
If you're undecided about your New Year's resolution, make it one that every household needs. Resolve to start out the year by de-cluttering and organizing your Metairie, LA, home with the help of Safeguard Self Storage. You'll find it easier to stick with your resolution if you don't overwhelm yourself. Do a few small organizing tasks every day, and reward yourself for your accomplishments at regular intervals. Here are a few great tips for getting your home to a more organized, clutter-free state.
De-cluttering Tips for a More Organized New Year
- If you already have items in a mini storage unit, take a quick inventory to determine how much available room is left; you can keep this in mind while you sort through items in your home.
- Banish closet clutter by determining which clothes you actually wear. You can do this by hanging all your clothes hangers in the reverse direction. Once you wear an item, hang it back up facing the right way. At the end of six months, you can easily see which clothes are never worn. Donate them, or store them outside your home.
- As you're organizing items in each room of your home, place them in one of four designated boxes. The first box is for garbage; the second is for items you wish to give away. Your third box is for items you intend to put in storage. Finally, your fourth box is for items you wish to keep in the room.
- Include everyone in the household. Try to encourage family members to support your efforts to live a more organized life. Turn room-by-room projects into fun events. Order pizza and play your kids' favorite music. You’d be surprised how willing kids are to help when you add a little bit of an incentive and some fun.
- For every new item you bring into your home, remove one; this will help you keep your resolution and maintain the uncluttered state you've achieved.
Mini Storage in Metairie, LA, Makes De-cluttering Easy
Some people avoid reorganizing because they can't imagine discarding anything that they own, but having an organized home doesn't necessarily mean that you have to get rid of your prized possessions. Renting a self-storage unit is a great way to keep treasures that are currently taking up too much room in your house. If you just can't part with your grandmother's wedding gown or your childhood collection of stuffed toys, place these beloved items in storage. You'll find that Metairie, LA, has plenty of affordable options to help you keep your New Year's resolution.
January is National Hobby Month. Now is a great time to turn your favorite hobby into extra income. Miami, FL, has plenty of potential customers. You just need passion, a few business pointers and a little help from a business storage facility. Here are a few tips to help you turn your favorite hobby into profit.
Tips for Turning a Hobby Into a Business
- Do something you love. Your enthusiasm will get you through the less-than-perfect moments that are an inevitable part of any business endeavor.
- Develop a good business plan. Starting out with no direction won't get you very far. Educate yourself about small business practices, and talk to other entrepreneurs for encouragement and advice.
- Build a presence on the web. You can develop a private website, latch onto social media, or carve out your niche at eBay, Etsy or other popular sites.
- Consider your present resources, and don't go overboard. Starting small doesn't mean you'll stay small. Invest carefully, and be sure that you have a stable backup plan.
Top Money-Making Hobbies
Not every hobby brings in tons of cash. If you're looking for one with a lot of money-making potential, consider one of the following.
- Pet-sitting and dog-walking require virtually no overhead, and if you love animals, you'll be getting paid to have fun. Before you get started, do your research. Certain safety measures and protocols apply.
- Home-baked treats like cookies, cakes and pies bring in thousands of dollars at charity bake sales every year. If you're a talented baker, take your love of flour and sugar to the next level. Sell your goodies at local flea markets, craft fairs and farmer's markets. If your popularity grows, you may even convince a local grocery store to carry your products.
- Become a writer. If you love to write, brush up on your grammar skills, and make money from the privacy of your computer. Various websites offer opportunities for freelance writers. You can also offer your services to local newspaper publishers and other businesses that might need promotional materials, newsletters or brochures.
- Monetize your crafting skills. From jewelry and scrapbooks to clothing and toys, people love handmade items. Rent a booth at your local flea market or sell online.
Find Great Business Storage in Miami, FL
When your hobby-turned-business starts to blossom, you'll need extra space to store products and promotional materials. You probably don't want your hobby to take over every room of your home, and keeping your wares in your garage or basement exposes them to insects, moisture and mold. Renting a Safeguard Self Storage unit is a more practical and professional solution. Check with your local Safeguard storage facilities, or use online resources to find the best rates in Miami, FL. If you have a great business plan and a little elbow grease to spare, your storage unit and your wallet will fill up quickly.
Here at Safeguard, we love storing your cars. Whether you use your personal storage in Philadelphia as a temporary home for your vehicle, or you are interested in purchasing your dream car in the future, it’s important to know how to keep it in tip top shape and ready to show off. Check out some inspiration at The Philadelphia Auto Show being held from January 31, 2015 to February 8, 2015. Explore all 650,000 square feet of the display floor to find up-and-coming stars in the automotive industry as well as classic, luxury, green and exotic vehicles.
Get Your Own Car Ready to Impress
If you have a gorgeous classic car or a formidable racing vehicle tucked away in private storage, it's the perfect time to bring it out to show the world. Whether you're registering your vehicle or just driving it to the venue, you can arrive at the auto show in style. Use the following tips to get your car ready to turn heads.
- Soup up your engine. Visit a shop that specializes in customizing cars, and have your engine enhanced by professionals. Once your car is ready to hold its own with the high-end dragsters, make the engine gleam with metal polish and a chamois. If you're not accustomed to driving vehicles with high-powered engines, get some pointers from a seasoned professional, and take a few practice drives. You'll want to be ready to roll with the big guys when it's time for the show.
- Have the car's exterior detailed and its frame polished. Unless you're trying to preserve the look of a classic car, consider enhancing the body. If you desire, replace your headlights, muffler or other body elements with newer, sleeker designs. Don't overlook small details; repair small glass and mirror defects.
- Update your interior. Customize your steering wheel, install television monitors, or add mp3 docking stations and gaming consoles. Replace old seats and upholstery.
- Put on your coolest sunglasses and hit the road. With your car's new look and feel, you're ready to impress both judges and peers.
When It's Time to Go Back Into Private Storage
The fun can't last forever. Before returning your vehicle to your personal storage unit in Philadelphia, PA, be sure to prepare it for an extended stay. Clean it thoroughly, change the oil, and top off the gas tank. If you're not able to start the car periodically, install a trickle charger to maintain battery power. Remove the car's wheels, and store it on jack stands to protect the tires. To learn more about secure, affordable vehicle storage, contact your local Safeguard Self Storage facilities for availability and pricing details.
You transformed your Bridgeview home into a masterpiece this holiday season, but now the festivities have ended. It's time to dismantle the lights, take down the tree and store everything safely in your Safeguard Self Storage unit until next year. Although a self storage unit is one of the safest places to keep your holiday treasures, it's important to pack and stack them properly if you want them to remain in pristine condition. Here are a few tips for keeping them safe, intact and ready for next season.
Expert Tips for Storing Holiday Decorations
- Find proper storage materials; these include sturdy boxes or plastic bins, divided compartment boxes for tree ornaments and plenty of bubble wrap or tissue paper to protect fragile items.
- As you work, create an inventory; it will be helpful to know exactly what you have when the season rolls around again.
- Organize boxes by weight. Never place heavier boxes or bins on top of lighter ones.
- Be sure that all items are completely clean and dry before storing them; this includes holiday linens and towels.
- Don't store leftover holiday candy with other items. It may disintegrate and ruin decorations and ribbons, and it could also attract insects.
- Be sure that paper items such as folded gift-wrap, books and cards are stored flat and in a waterproof container. Special vertical containers are available for storing rolls of gift wrap.
- Unless you want a major headache next year, store your string lights carefully. If you don't have the original packaging, wrap them around a piece of cardboard in single file, or gather them into a circle, and secure them with clips or wire ties.
- Organize your decorations by placing like items together and accurately labeling boxes. You won't regret it.
- Insert delicate candles into old socks to prevent scratches.
- If you have many small ornaments, you can store them neatly in an egg crate.
- Before storing an artificial Christmas tree, remove all decorations including icicles and garland.
- Wreaths are easily crushed. Place your wreath in an oversize box with plenty of soft packing material or a container designed specifically for wreaths.
- Wrap holiday dishes in bubble wrap, and place them in a sturdy container or box.
Find the Right Self Storage Option in Bridgeview
Self storage is never one-size-fits-all. It's not necessary to pay for space you're not using. You can choose the size and type of unit that best meets your needs. If you don't know how much space you need, create an inventory of the items you intend to store, and talk to the storage experts at your local Safeguard location. Find the storage unit that works for you today so holidays are a breeze in years to come.
Up-cycling is a positive, fun and environmentally friendly trend that has taken the nation by storm. Believe it or not, you might find the perfect item to up-cycle in your Lyons, Illinois storage locker. One of the most versatile and useful items to up-cycle is the wooden pallet. Pallets are flat transport structures used to stabilize merchandise or large items while they're being lifted by a forklift, pallet jack or similar device. Because old pallets are periodically discarded by local retailers, they're easy to find. One popular and simple way to use pallets is to create storage containers from them. Here are two of our favorite examples of how you can transform a plain wooden pallet into a cool, trendy storage solution.
Easy Pallet Bookshelf
You only need one pallet to make this simple bookshelf that you can hang on your wall. It's perfect for storing children's books or magazines face-forward.
- Pry the center strip off of your pallet, and set it aside. You will later attach it to the side of the pallet, which will be the bottom of your bookshelf.
- Measure and mark a straight line about two inches above the highest wood strip on one side of the pallet.
- Using a jigsaw, cut straight across.
- Attach the center pallet strip onto the bottom of the cut pallet; this will hold stored items upright.
- Sand all sharp edges, and stain or paint your bookshelf in a color of your choice.
- Hang the bookshelf using drywall anchors, and fill with favorite books, magazines or other flat items.
Simple Pallet Storage Bin
Simple storage bins with or without handles are great for storing just about anything. You can paint or stain them to match your decor, or leave them plain for a rustic look.
- Use the base of an assembled pallet to serve as the bottom of your bin.
- Gather and cut pallet wood strips to match the length and width of the base. For larger bins, you may need to acquire wood from additional sources.
- Using nails and wood glue, attach the pallet boards together to form a rectangular shape that represents the dimensions of the base and the desired height of the bin.
- With the bin inverted, attach the base.
- Attach handles or a hinged lid if desired.
Using Pallets Inside Storage Lockers or Units
Wooden storage bins made from pallets are perfect for your Lyons self storage unit. Use them to store books, collectibles, holiday decorations and more. To provide extra protection for fragile items, create bins with hinged wooden lids. Unaltered pallets can be used to increase ventilation; simply place boxes, furniture or lightweight appliances on top of them. This provides great airflow and allows your items to be protected from liquid spills. To rent a convenient and affordable self storage unit, contact Safeguard Self Storage today.
Cooler weather is finally here. It's time to put away your summer sun dresses and get out those boots and sweaters. If you live in Bronx, NY, finding room to store your seasonal wardrobe can be a challenge. Extra household space is a luxury that you may not have. Fortunately, you have a great storage option outside of your small home or apartment. Simply contact the nearest residential and business storage facility in your area, and rent a self storage unit to hold your summer treasures safely while you ride out the winter. To ensure that your shorts and bikinis are in top shape when you're ready to retrieve them, here are a few tips from Safeguard Self Storage for storing summer clothes.
Essential Summer Wardrobe Storage Tips
- Browse through your summer wardrobe, and remove items you never wear. If you didn't wear it this past summer, you probably won't wear it again. Donate these items, or offer them to family members. Don't force them to take up room in your tiny Bronx, NY space.
- Organize your clothing by type and then by fabric, so you'll be able to store them properly and find them quickly later.
- Before storing any item of clothing, wash and dry it thoroughly. Even if you’ve only worn it for a few minutes, residue from body oil, sunscreen, deodorant and colognes can degrade the fabric after the item has been stored for several months.
- Avoid using chlorine bleach, fabric softeners and starch products on your clothes before storing them.
- If you're using wardrobe boxes, hang garments on well-shaped hangers. Heavy fabrics that tend to droop or stretch and light, delicate items that become misshapen easily should be folded neatly instead of hung.
- Don't store your clothing in nylon or plastic bags. It encourages mildew growth and can cause yellowing of fabrics. If you need extra protection, use a garment bag, or drape a cotton sheet over vulnerable items.
- To protect delicate folded items, place them inside a cotton pillow case.
- Avoid using moth balls to keep insects away. The smell can be difficult to remove and may even be toxic. Try cedar chips or lavender blocks instead.
- Be sure to remove dirt and smudges from your sandals, flip-flops and sneakers before storing them.
Climate-Controlled Bronx, NY, Home and Business Storage
To keep your clothes fresh and intact, consider renting a climate controlled self storage unit for winter and summer storage. With around-the-clock control of temperature and humidity levels, you'll never have to worry about extreme cold or heat damaging synthetic fabrics, and you won't find disgusting mold or mildew on your favorite sun dress. Check local rates today, and keep your seasonal clothing changeovers easy and affordable.
Most people think of storage facilities when they're planning a move or remodeling their homes, but self-storage units are essential to the holiday season, too. Whether you own a home or a small business, temporary storage offers a great solution for everyday problems. If you're not taking advantage of home and commercial storage in Hollis, NY this year, you could be missing out on making the holiday season less stressful and more fun. Here are five great ways to utilize Safeguard Self Storage this year.
How Storage Facilities Can Make the Holiday Season Easier
- A storage unit is a great place to hide surprise gifts until Santa Clause arrives. Curious little ones who sneak into closets and basements will never suspect a thing. Keep the magic and mystery intact by storing your gifts out of reach. You can even use the space to wrap presents privately.
- Lights, trees and inflatable lawn ornaments can take up a huge amount of space in your attic or basement. Pack them away safely in a storage unit until it's time to decorate. If you rent a climate-controlled unit, you'll never have to worry about temperature extremes or moisture causing damage to your most valued decorations, gift-wraps and cards.
- Holidays often involve overnight guests. If you have a small home, it can get crowded quickly. A storage unit gives you a place to store large items, like exercise equipment, so that you have more room for your visitors. It also provides a place to store air beds, extra linens and folding tables when your guests leave.
- The holiday season is all about good will. It's a perfect time to reach out and help those less fortunate. If you want to collect items to donate to charity or give to homeless people in your area, a storage unit is a perfect place to keep them safe until it's time to distribute them.
- If you own a business, you can use extra storage space to hold promotional materials for holiday events, bulk gift items, office decor, party supplies and off-season merchandise or marketing materials.
Check Out Storage Facilities in Hollis, NY
Whether you need home or commercial storage, affordable options are available near you. The holidays are just around the corner, so don’t wait until the last minute to contact your top local storage facility for details about available unit sizes and types, facility hours and monthly rates.
December 13 marks International Children's Day; a perfect day to celebrate the joy that children bring into your life. One way to observe the holiday is to make their lives better by optimizing health and safety conditions in your New Hyde Park, NY home. Here are a few tips to help you childproof your home and make it both safe and fun for your little ones.
Tips for Childproofing Your Home
Check out this quick-tip list for safety so instead of worrying what your kids can get into, you can enjoy your time with them.
- Place safety screens around your fireplaces, radiators and heaters.
- Install childproof covers on all electrical outlets.
- Make sure that all toxic chemicals, including household cleaners and painting supplies, are out of reach.
- Move couches, chairs and other furniture away from windows.
- Be sure that step stools and kitchen chairs aren't close to your stove top.
- Use corner bumpers to protect your children from sharp edges on tables and other structures.
- Keep houseplants out of reach.
- Lower the temperature of your hot water.
- Make sure your bathtub and shower floors aren't slippery.
- Never leave lighters, matches or tobacco products where children can reach them.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms outside your children's bedrooms.
- Shorten the length of blind and curtain cords.
- Place locks on your bathroom medicine cabinets.
- Unplug small electrical appliances after using them.
- Keep all firearms and ammunition securely locked away from children.
- If your home was built before 1978, have it tested for lead paint.
- Keep kitchen knives and other sharp utensils out of reach.
- Never leave cooking food unattended, especially when children are in the kitchen.
- Install side railings when transitioning from a crib to a standard bed.
- Never leave heating pads or electric blankets unattended.
- Develop a family fire escape plan.
- Install ground-fault circuit interrupters on electrical outlets.
- Keep activated charcoal and ipecac syrup on hand in case of poisoning emergencies.
- Install cabinet latches and toilet lid locks.
- Keep gardening equipment and gas containers stored out of reach.
- Stabilize unsteady furniture.
- Keep small glass and ceramic items stored inside a locked display cabinet.
What Can I Do with Leftover Stuff?
While you're making your space child-friendly, you'll probably find a few items that aren't safe to leave in a home with small children. Don't worry, you don't have to give them up forever. Keep them safe in a Safegaurd Self Storage unit until your children are a little older. For a small monthly fee, you can store extra toys, large items, sports equipment, collections and much more. It's easy to find affordable options for home and commercial storage in New Hyde Park, NY. Contact your local storage facilities for availability and pricing details.
With more than 2.5 million people calling it home in 2014, Brooklyn is the most densely populated borough in New York. If you live in an apartment, your free space may be severely limited. Holidays pose special challenges when friends and family members come to visit. It may be difficult to accommodate overnight guests in such a crowded environment, but it is possible to make room. Here are a few valuable tips from Safeguard Self Storage to help you set up your small apartment and provide a comfortable stay.
Making Room for Your Brooklyn Visitors
- Buy high-end air mattresses. Some models include electric deflation features that remove all air and produce a flat mattress in about five minutes. They're quick and easy to use, and when deflated, they take up little room.
- With the right furniture, any room can become a bedroom. Replace traditional furniture with multi-functional pieces such as futons, day beds and sleeper sofas.
- Oversize bean bags make great beds for small children. When they're not in use, you can stack them in a corner.
- Keep plenty of folding chairs on hand for extra seating at mealtimes and holiday parties.
- Install shelves on walls above beds and sofas to create additional storage space. Leave them empty or almost empty. Your guests can use them for personal items and holiday gifts.
- Utilize vertical space in closets to make more room for your guests' luggage. Sturdy, stackable plastic bins can help you easily organize the top of your closet.
- If you have space available under your bed, use an under-bed storage box to store extra linens, towels and other guest essentials.
- In a tiny space, privacy can be hard to find. Buy large, folding privacy screens to separate sleeping spaces when you have multiple guests.
- If you have patio space, don't let it go to waste. Encourage guests to spend more time outside by making your outdoor space appealing. Provide a small table and chairs, and create a welcoming atmosphere with outdoor electric heaters, candles and patio lights. If the area is secure, it can also be used as an eating area or a play area for visiting children.
Get Help from Your Local Storage Rental Facility
You don't have to tolerate extra mattresses or folding chairs cluttering your apartment after your guests depart. Affordable storage units are available to store and protect these items until they are needed again. You can also use your storage unit to keep valuable collections and fragile items safe from visiting kids or pets. Contact Safeguard Self Storage to learn more about climate-controlled private storage units available in the Brooklyn area.