Moving across the country is one of the most exciting things you’ll do, but it can also be stressful, too. Organizing a cross-country move involves so many details, especially when it comes to keeping costs under control.
Should you hire a moving company, or should you handle the move all on your own? When is the most affordable time of the year to move? Where should I buy affordable packing and moving supplies?
Fortunately, figuring out the cheapest way to move across the country starts with a solid pre-game plan, which includes:
- Selling any of your unused items or clutter before the big day
- Getting all the moving and packing supplies you need early on
- Selecting the most wallet-friendly moving option
- Avoiding peak moving season
How to Save Money While Moving Across the Country
1. Cash in on clutter.
Hold down moving costs by reducing your load. Make a list of things you don't need or want anymore and get ready to cash in! Sell all your unused belongings through online platforms, mobile apps, or even a yard sale. If you need some extra selling motivation, think about how much extra money you could make to cover moving costs.
2. Get your moving supplies in advance.
Reduce the possibility of damaging your items during the move by investing in quality moving and packing supplies. At Safeguard Self Storage, our facilities sell cross-country packing necessities like:
- Small to extra-large cardboard boxes
- Specialty boxes for mirrors, wardrobes, files, and more
- Bubble pack rolls and packing peanuts
- Packing tape rolls
- Mattress covers, dish barrels, and glass inserts
- And more
3. Choose an affordable moving option.
While full-service, long-distance moving companies do all the work for you, that convenience can really break the bank. Although it takes more labor on your part, handling the work yourself is the cheapest way to move across the country. Fortunately, there are many affordable moving options you can choose from, including:
- Portable Storage Containers – These large, steel-framed boxes are delivered to your home a few days before the move. You load the containers with your belongings, the container company moves them to your new location, and you take care of unpacking on your own.
- Freight Trailers – This alternative gives you even more room for moving a large household. The process is like moving with portable storage containers, but freight trailers cost more and might not offer the same scheduling flexibility.
- Rental Trucks – The cheapest, DIY cross-country move starts with renting a truck. Different sizes are available, but they all cost less than professional movers and container companies. Even when you factor in gas or lodging, this is still the cheapest way to move across the country.
Selecting a Moving Service with Top Reviews
Also, it’s important to look for truck and container companies with top reviews. Narrow down the field by comparing costs and pricing details. A little online research can net big savings on your cross-country move.
4. Avoid peak moving season.
Most people relocate or move coast to coast during the summer, especially over weekends. This demand drives up the price of moving, so try to schedule around peak moving season if possible. Also, gas prices tend to go up during the spring and summer months. This means that moving during the fall or winter will save you even more money.
Start Your New Life On the Right Foot with Safeguard
At Safeguard Self Storage, our convenient storage solutions can help ease your transition as you arrive at your new destination. With flexible month-to-month leasing options, you can drop off your non-essentials while you finish moving in with ease. Also, our facilities are located in convenient areas around town. This means our easily accessible units can easily become an extension of your life!
If you're headed for New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Florida, or Louisiana, just look for your local Safeguard Self Storage facility. From our team to yours, welcome home!