It's easy to turn the garage at your Baton Rouge, LA home into self storage, but the lawn mower doesn't belong out there. Before you crowd that workhorse next to the car again, think about alternatives to storing it in the garage.
Keep Your Space Safe
When home garages turn into storage units, lawn mowers become tripping hazards. Pinholes in the fuel tank can fill the air with unhealthy fumes. A small break in the fuel line can spill combustible liquid on the garage floor. It's hard to keep your space safe when you store lawn equipment in the garage.
Don't Expose Your Mower
Parking it in the backyard isn't a good idea, either. Our humid Gulf Coast climate can rust lawn mower decks, and our hot summers can crack engine covers. Save that trusty equipment with one of these home-based self storage solutions.
Use the Backyard Shed
Let the mower motivate you into cleaning out the backyard shed. Add a little DIY weather-proofing, and you have a safe space for the lawn mower and much more. It's a good weekend project that can add years of life to yard equipment.
Build a Mower House
If you don't have a shed out back, build one for your faithful lawn mower. Imagine a dog house sized to fit the mower with double doors for easy access. Save your view of the landscape by putting the mini shed behind a tree.
Turn Tarps Into Storage Units
Large tarps can protect lawn equipment outside but be sure to secure them against windy weather. Tighten the cover around a lawn mower with bungee cords and keep it in a sheltered corner of the yard. When cold weather sets in, move the mower to a climate-controlled storage unit.
Line Up Cold-Weather Storage
Don't let cold weather chase the lawn mower back into your garage. Lease a unit now so that you'll be ready to park all your yard equipment until next spring. Keep these self storage tips in mind:
- Always drain the fuel tank and carburetor.
- Clean the mower's underside, blades, and fins.
- Store the battery on a shelf or wood pallet.
Park It With Us
It's time to give that cluttered garage a break. Our two Baton Rouge, LA locations feature a variety of units for all types of yard equipment. When you run out of room at home, you can always park it with us here at Safeguard.
If you love arts and culture, you're living in the right place. The Baton Rouge Arts Market showcases the best of local talent and artisanship. Held on the first Saturday of each month, the open-air event features handmade pottery, jewelry, photographic art, stained glass and much more. If you have a hobby or favorite craft, the Arts Market provides an opportunity to share your talent with the world. This month, Safeguard Self Storage is offering savvy tips for setting up your own booth at the market and becoming part of the Louisiana arts scene.
Creating a Booth That Stands Out
- Aim for an airy, open and welcoming ambiance. Avoid creating a cave-like space.
- Decorate your booth with a variety of colorful, eye-catching materials such as fabrics, balloons, and streamers.
- Cover display tables with a cloth. For the best results, choose a solid color that contrasts the color of your products.
- If you can hang your items on a wall, do so; this makes them easier to examine and the items more noticeable from the street.
- Avoid clutter. Too many items grouped together are distracting and overwhelming to customers.
- Provide business cards. Customers who love your work may contact you later.
- Make sure to provide clear, highly visible signage that employs theme and color as well as text. Your prospective customers should be able to get an idea of who you are and what you're offering from a distance.
Sales and Marketing Tricks
- If your product can be sampled on-site, provide free samples to entice customers.
- Make your prices obvious and visible. No one should have to hunt for them. Offer special deals for multiple-item purchases.
- Talk to everyone who comes to your booth. Be friendly, helpful, and open, and don’t be afraid to sing the praises of your products.
- Take advantage of social media to get the word out.
- Make and distribute flyers ahead of the sale date. Use lots of color, and add a picture of one of your finest creations.
- Get to know other Baton Rouge vendors who are familiar with the market. They can offer even more tips for optimizing your sales and having a great time.
Storage Units Make Your Project Easier
If you need extra space for your crafts, supplies or marketing materials, Safeguard Self Storage has air-conditioned and clean storage units with easy access at prices that won't cut into your profits. Contact us today for more information about rates and availability.