Our city's been making and preserving history since its incorporation back in 1837. Our municipal treasures can serve as inspiration for protecting your personal antiques in self storage. Chicago, IL celebrates everything collectible from art and architecture to science and ancient artifacts. These five museums are just a few of our favorites.
Five of Our Favorite Museums
1. The Museum of Contemporary Art: Browse away an afternoon enjoying one of the country's largest and most renown modern art collections. Finish with fine dining at the museum's on-site Marisol Restaurant.
2. The Art Institute of Chicago: This is the place to view art from almost every corner of the world. Exhibits showcase more than 300,000 pieces dating from antiquity to today.
3. The Clark House Museum: Walk back in time through Chicago's oldest surviving home. This 1836 Greek Revival residence in South Loop features extensive ceramic, glassware, and furniture collections.
4. The Museum of Science and Industry: Explore interactive exhibits that define our nation and our city. Navigate a World War II submarine, board a diesel-electric train, and walk a Chicago cobblestone street dating back to 1910.
5. The Field Museum: Lose yourself in the city's premier natural history museum while investigating an Egyptian tomb and making friends with a Tyrannosaurus rex. Learn more about both at the museum's 3-D movie theater.
Preserve Your Special Treasures
A visit to the city's museums renews our appreciation for the grace of age in so many things. Take care of your antiques by keeping them safe in climate-controlled self storage. These tips can help preserve your private collection.
• Protect antique furniture with layers of bubble wrap around legs.
• Drape furnishings with clean sheets that allow fresh air circulation.
• Wrap framed mirrors and paintings with glassine paper, and store upright.
• Preserve paper items like books and photographs inside acid-free sleeves.
Choosing the right storage unit for your antiques is very important. The temperature should remain as consistent, and the size should allow ventilation around all of your cherished pieces. Our on-site storage experts are here to help you find that perfect unit.
We're Just Around the Corner
Our city continues to make history every day, and we're proud to be a part of it all. We're here to help you preserve your personal treasures with our South Loop facility located at 1353 South Wabash Avenue, or any one of our 14 additional locations across Chicago, IL, including:
• Uptown – 5026 North Sheridan Road
• West Rogers Park – 6014 North California Ave.
• Beverly – 1909 West 95th Street
• Lake View – 2757 West Clybourn Ave.
• Hermosa – 4534 West North Ave.
Safeguard Self Storage is always just around the corner to house your most important collections.