How to Make the Most of Your Unit Space and Store It Right.
You’ve packed up your belongings. You’ve transported them to the storage facility. Now it’s time to load your items into your storage unit – but how do you fill it? Well, that’s really up to you. Having been in the self-storage business as long as we have, we’ve seen it all. Here are some of the ideas we’ve gathered in our experiences that may help you make the most of your storage unit:
• Use shelves how they are intended…place items on them! Keep it organized by grouping like items together.
• Place smaller items inside drawers, like DVDs and CDs (or VHS tapes and cassettes if you still have those).
• While you're not sitting on couch cushions, something breakable should, like glass décor.
• Store long items vertically so they take up less room.
• Store glass and mirrors between mattresses. This will also keep them protected.
• Place smaller and lighter things on top, as it makes it easier and safer to take down later.
• Remove wheels from everything so it doesn’t move around.
• Start at the back of the unit, using the front area for odd shaped objects.
• Chairs make the perfect chairs for other chairs, so stack away.
• Group like items as much as possible, even if they’re not on a shelf.
• Use hand carts to save your back and your time.
• Avoid using plastic garbage bags for storage, as they can promote mildew.
• Place items you will need frequently in the front of the unit for easy access.
• Leave a path wide enough to reach the things in the back so you aren’t digging your way there.
If you’re still staring at empty boxes you have yet to fill, we have a bunch of other handy tools to make it a smooth move, like a moving checklist and packing tips. And at our store locations, you'll find all the supplies you need to safely pack your stuff for storage, including high quality locks to keep it there. We only ask that you refrain from storing food, flammable liquids and pets. Remember - we've seen it all. And we look forward to seeing you!