The end of summer means our Chicagoland sizzle is almost over, but it also means our seasonal snows are just a few calendar pages away. Start thinking about winterizing your favorite rides now, and you'll be ready to roll everything into self storage before Bridgeview, IL freezes over.
Move the Motorcycle Inside
The Veteran's Run from our Bridgeview Courthouse doesn't signal the end of summer, but plenty of area cycles will head for nearby storage units over the next few months. Don't put your bike at risk by leaving it outside all winter.
- Get the bike ready for storage by removing oil, brake fluid and antifreeze.
- Disconnect the battery, and store it on shelving in your storage unit.
- Keep motorcycle wheels off concrete flooring with a wooden pallet.
- Invest in a quality cover to protect engine components from dust.
Secure the Boat From Snow
When the chill off Lake Michigan chases you in for the winter, say goodbye to stalking largemouth bass. Say hello to staking out self storage that keeps your boat shipshape until spring.
- Clean your watercraft inside and out, and make sure everything's dry to prevent mold and mildew.
- Change out antifreeze and oil, and use fogging oil to protect engine components.
- Remove the battery, and keep it dry and off the ground.
- Support the hull with a cradle, jack stands or blocks.
- Pamper your boat with a final waxing and a ventilated canvas cover.
Keep the Car Warm This Winter
If you have an extra car that needs to hibernate away from home, you can go with outdoor parking options at a fully gated storage facility. If the city turns into Chiberia (Chicago + Siberia) again this winter, you might prefer a drive-up indoor unit. In or out, give your wheels a little love and attention before long-term storage.
- Change the oil, top off the tank, and add fuel stabilizer. (Outdoor Storage Only)
- Flush and replace brake fluid with a silicone-based fluid.
- Inflate tires to maximum PSI, and disconnect the battery.
- Clean and detail the car from roof to undercarriage.
- Protect it with a quality car cover that breathes.
Stay Ready to Roll
It doesn't take a snowpocalypse to make storage units your best choice for protecting vehicles from winter weather. Safeguard Self Storage offers harbor for boats, cycles, and wheels with drive-up units and outdoor parking in Bridgeview, IL. Store your favorite rides with us, and you'll be ready to roll come spring.