Because of its proximity to Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA and the surrounding area is home to a large number of college students. If you're one of them, you've chosen a great place to get your education. However, whether you're living on campus or taking advantage of off-campus housing, you may face cramped conditions in rooms with little or no extra storage space. Don't worry; between savvy storage tips and Safeguard storage unit rental options, you can find a way to keep your favorite belongings close at hand while you focus on your future.
Valuable Storage Tips for Students
- Only keep what you really need. You'll probably have several more moves in your future, so getting rid of clothes you never wear or books you read as a kid can save lots of time and effort. Make exceptions for items with sentimental value, but don't be afraid to let go of things that are simply taking up space.
- Get the right storage products. Inexpensive shelving units and closet shoe racks can be lifesavers. After checking out the dimensions in your new room, look for storage solutions that take up little space.
- Choose furniture that offers extra storage. Examples include end tables with built-in drawers and ottomans with storage compartments.
- Utilize your wall space. A blank space is a great place for new shelves. You can also make use of over-the-door storage racks or hooks.
- Look under your bed. You may have room for long under-bed storage boxes.
- Consolidate small objects in baskets. Instead of lining small items on shelves, group them by type and place them in decorative baskets; they'll take up less room and help you stay organized.
- Try vacuum-packing larger seasonal clothing items or linens to maximize space.
Storage Unit Rental for College Students
If there's simply not enough room for everything you need to store, a climate controlled self storage rental unit may be the perfect answer. For a small monthly fee, you can have access to your stuff whenever you need it. When you choose climate controlled storage, your valuable belongings are protected from insects, moisture, mold and extreme temperatures, so you won't have to worry about your favorite books being covered in mildew or your clothes developing weird odors. If you don't have enough storage space in your room, but you don't really have enough to fill a storage unit either, consider sharing a unit with a trusted friend or roommate. With everything you love at your fingertips, home won't seem so far away,