It's liberating, but it can be a big job. You're excited, but you aren't sure where to start. Your plans include making the move from your current home to something smaller in Mountainside, NJ. With nearby self-storage and a little pre-planning, retirement downsizing is easy to manage and simple to maintain.
You've Made a Great Choice
Mountainside, NJ earns its place on the short list of great retirement areas for so many reasons. You’ll enjoy classic suburban living, tree-lined streets and some of the friendliest neighbors in the Garden State. It's an excellent location for downsizing because the area offers a wide range of housing options and plenty of affordable storage units. Whether you're relocating from outside Union County or transitioning from a larger home, here in the borough, life is good just east of the Watchung Reservation.
You Need an Easy Plan
Downsizing your way into this lovely community means making decisions about a lifetime of personal belongings. From furniture to holiday decorations, you’ll have to figure out what to do with everything. Successful moves always start with a plan, so consider these simple downsizing strategies:
- Take care of arrangements for leasing a storage unit before you start relocating. This gives you space to transition more easily from the old address to your new home.
- Get things done more efficiently by taking inventory, one room at a time. Compare square-footage differences between old and new living spaces.
- Be honest about what you want to take with you, and turn the rest into cash. Gently used items and furnishings that won't be moving with you will move at a weekend garage sale.
- Belongings with higher resale values often find new homes through upscale consignment shops. Check with different outlets and antique stores in the Mountain Avenue retail district.
- Talk to local charities about their needs, and match their list to things that you need to part with. When you know your donations are helping someone else, letting go becomes a little easier.
Self Storage Keeps Downsizing Simple
Downsizing doesn't mean giving up everything, and that's where a storage unit fits into your retirement plans. Keep sentimental treasures, seasonal items and extra bedding in a temperature-controlled unit. Park bikes -- for riding around Echo Lake Park -- next to fishing gear, saved for afternoons on Lake Surprise. Our Mountainside location offers 24 hour digitally recorded video surveillance, individually alarmed storage units and easy-to-use online account management. The extended access hours also provides extra time for you to access everything in your storage unit at your convenience.
It's All Yours Now
This northern slice of the Garden State offers so much, and it's all yours when you retire in Mountainside, NJ. Our Safeguard Self Storage family extends a warm hello and an invitation to visit our local facilities. Welcome to the neighborhood. We know you're going to love downsizing here.