If you're an aspiring sailor, Bridgeview, IL, is the perfect place to call home. It's just a 30-minute drive from the Chicago Park District 59th Street Harbor, and it's equally close to the Chicago Yacht Club. Bridgeview offers a friendly environment and a great community to help you get the most from your seafaring adventures. However, when winter winds start to blow, you'll need to find an overwinter home for your boat. Your driveway isn't the ideal place, and if you live in an apartment, it's not even an option. In most cases, self storage is the best solution. Obtaining a storage space is simple and affordable, and your boat will be in a comfortable place.
How to Prepare Your Boat for Winter Storage
Careful preparation of your boat before winter storage ensures that it's in perfect condition when you're ready to sail again. Here are a few tips to help you get your prized vehicle ready for its winter nap.
- Top off your gas tank, and add gas stabilizer to reduce the risk of condensation. Operate your boat in water for 15 minutes to allow the treated fuel to reach the engine.
- After removing your boat from the water, immediately remove the bilge drain plug.
- Clean your boat thoroughly. Wash the topside, bottom and deck, and add a coat of protective wax. Clean all windscreens, spray hoods and Bimini tops. Be sure all surfaces are completely dry before storing; this will help prevent mildew growth.
- Clean refrigerator lockers, and leave all interior lockers open to increase ventilation.
- Repair any paint blisters and other visible signs of damage. Untreated cracks can get worse during the storage period.
- Change your engine oil, and replace all filters.
- Check all hoses, clamps and belts. Clean strainers, and leave thru-hulls open.
- Flush your coolant system with water. Add antifreeze if needed.
- Treat the propeller shaft with corrosion-resistant metal protectant.
- Drain your water heater and fresh water tanks.
- Seal exhaust flaps with duct tape.
- Remove your boat's battery, and clean all battery terminals.
- Cover your boat with a tarp or boat cover and throw in some moisture-control sheets.
Trust Safeguard Self Storage with Your Summer Vehicles
Safeguard has been storage boats, RVs and other sporting vehicles since 1989. With help from easy online tools, you'll be able to determine your needs find the perfect size space unit in minutes. To learn more about storage options in Bridgeview, IL, contact Safeguard Self Storage today.