Moving to Brooklyn, NY, is a demanding prospect, especially if you're accustomed to living in a larger space. Existing apartments are significantly smaller than average, and the lack of housing in NYC has led to the construction of many prefabricated apartments that are even smaller than most of the area's studio apartments. The new units range in size from 250 to 350 square feet. Don't worry. If you're planning a move to a Brooklyn apartment, you won't have to face the challenge alone. Safeguard Self Storage is here to serve as a helpful resource.
Check Out Brooklyn Neighborhoods
Before your move, it pays to research Brooklyn's many neighborhoods so that you can find a space that meets your social and family needs as well as your budget. Here are a few highlights.
- Crown Heights is a sprawling transitional area that offers a broad range of rental prices and somewhat larger living areas. But it's a coveted location, so start your apartment-hunting early.
- Bay Ridge has plenty of retail stores and restaurants and a range of housing options including smaller, older buildings and high rises.
- Park Slope is considered by many to be one of the most desirable locations in Brooklyn. Apartments are pricier, but they offer perks like decks, gardening space and historic architecture.
- Kensington and Windsor Terrace aren't as busy or as pricey as Park Slope, but they're close enough that you can easily visit upscale shops and restaurants.
Shrinking Your Stuff: Tips for Downsizing in Brooklyn
- Measure your new space carefully before deciding what you can fit into it.
- Buy smaller furniture, and choose multipurpose items like storage ottomans or sleeper sofas.
- Utilize vertical space. Place shelving instead of artwork above furniture pieces. Use stacking storage boxes to fill empty space in closets.
- Donate or store clothing that you rarely wear.
- If you have sentimental items or collections that you can't fit into the new space, take pictures of them to put on display.
Affordable Storage Units Make Downsizing Easier
Downsizing requires some adjustment, but it doesn't mean that you have to lose your treasured collections, heirlooms or furniture that you may need at a later date. Simply store your belongings in a secure storage unit. Safeguard Self Storage offers great deals on clean, affordable storage units that can make adjusting to a compact lifestyle in Brooklyn NY, much easier. Contact us today for details.