If you have the right equipment and arm yourself with knowledge, Addison, IL and the surrounding area is a great place to hunt. This summer, your friends at Safeguard Self Storage are offering a few tips to help you sharpen your organizational and hunting skills so that you can enjoy the thrill of success.
Optimize Your Summer Hunting in Addison
- Finding the best place to hunt is important. For your convenience, the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) lists public hunting grounds near Addison.
- For the best experience, research a hunting location beforehand so that you're familiar with its rules, limitations and layout.
- Knowing when to hunt gives you an edge. At the start of summer, vegetation is less dense, and the clear weather gives you better visibility so that you can survey the terrain more effectively. Check weather reports regularly before making plans.
- The best animals to hunt in the summer months include coyotes, woodchucks and fox or grey squirrels. Check the IDNR Season Dates and Limits Guide for more information about the best times during the season to hunt specific animals.
- If you're hunting coyotes, start early in the morning when their activity level is at its highest. Take advantage of their predatory nature. Using a fawn decoy is a great way to attract them.
- Stay out of trouble. Don’t target an animal if you’re not sure what it is. Check your animal identification guide to identify it and determine if it is a protected species.
- Always check your hunting equipment for safety and proper performance before you begin using it.
- If you're more accustomed to winter hunting, be sure to prepare for the summer heat, humidity and insect activity.
Where to Get Your Hunting License
To hunt legally, you'll need to obtain the necessary hunting licenses from the IDNR. The type of license required depends on a number of variables such as what type of animals you intend to hunt, your age and other factors. You can obtain up-to-date license information by visiting the IDNR License Sales and Information Page.
Storage Units Keep Your Hunting Gear Safe During the Off-Season
If you don't have extra space at home for storing your hunting gear, Safeguard Self Storage can help. Our Addison, IL area storage units can keep your equipment safe and secure during the off-season or any time you need to ensure that it stays out of the wrong hands. Contact us today for details.