Making an inventory of everything you own can actually be more fun than you’d think. Think of all the rooms in your Miami Shores, FL home as small storage spaces filled with your belongings, helping you re-examine your space in the process. Thus, this is a project with several positive purposes. It might seem like a big job, but you can do it.
Why This is a Great Idea
Whether you own or rent, it's always smart to protect your things with insurance. Homeowners and renters policies outline specific coverage, but a current inventory makes filing any type of damage claim much easier.
Taking inventory also streamlines home organizing. As you work, note different things you want to move into self storage. Use your storage unit to hold extra furniture or spare clothes for donation. Include potential garage sale items that can put a little cash back in your pocket.
How to Inventory Your Home
- Take on this project with a flexible plan. If one approach doesn't work, don't get discouraged. There are several efficient ways to inventory the contents of your home.
- Tackle one room at a time. Start with the big stuff like furniture, move on to smaller belongings, and finish up with the contents of closets and drawers.
- Focus on one category at a time. Inventory one thing at a time throughout the house. It can be clothes, furniture, electronics, jewelry or art work.
- Take pictures and videos. Use your smartphone to document and organize inventory details with photos and videos. Let the files serve as digital storage that preserves permanent records of your things.
- Use a home inventory app. These smart apps work like spreadsheets. You can enter itemized information including descriptions, serial numbers, and estimated values.
Easy Home Inventory Tips
As you work out a strategy for your home inventory project, these tips keep things on track.
- Don't plan on finishing everything in just a few days.
- Download a printable home inventory checklist.
- Stay motivated by tracking your progress with notebook entries
- Save printed copies of the final inventory for access when you need it.
Your Greater Miami Storage Specialists
When friends and family want to know how you did it, share our home inventory ideas. When they ask about the best storage units in Miami Shores, FL, point them in our direction. We're always ready to serve as your self storage specialists at 14 Safeguard locations across the greater Miami area.