If you're undecided about your New Year's resolution, make it one that every household needs. Resolve to start out the year by de-cluttering and organizing your Metairie, LA, home with the help of Safeguard Self Storage. You'll find it easier to stick with your resolution if you don't overwhelm yourself. Do a few small organizing tasks every day, and reward yourself for your accomplishments at regular intervals. Here are a few great tips for getting your home to a more organized, clutter-free state.
De-cluttering Tips for a More Organized New Year
- If you already have items in a mini storage unit, take a quick inventory to determine how much available room is left; you can keep this in mind while you sort through items in your home.
- Banish closet clutter by determining which clothes you actually wear. You can do this by hanging all your clothes hangers in the reverse direction. Once you wear an item, hang it back up facing the right way. At the end of six months, you can easily see which clothes are never worn. Donate them, or store them outside your home.
- As you're organizing items in each room of your home, place them in one of four designated boxes. The first box is for garbage; the second is for items you wish to give away. Your third box is for items you intend to put in storage. Finally, your fourth box is for items you wish to keep in the room.
- Include everyone in the household. Try to encourage family members to support your efforts to live a more organized life. Turn room-by-room projects into fun events. Order pizza and play your kids' favorite music. You’d be surprised how willing kids are to help when you add a little bit of an incentive and some fun.
- For every new item you bring into your home, remove one; this will help you keep your resolution and maintain the uncluttered state you've achieved.
Mini Storage in Metairie, LA, Makes De-cluttering Easy
Some people avoid reorganizing because they can't imagine discarding anything that they own, but having an organized home doesn't necessarily mean that you have to get rid of your prized possessions. Renting a self-storage unit is a great way to keep treasures that are currently taking up too much room in your house. If you just can't part with your grandmother's wedding gown or your childhood collection of stuffed toys, place these beloved items in storage. You'll find that Metairie, LA, has plenty of affordable options to help you keep your New Year's resolution.