The Village of Lombard, Illinois experienced heavy rain and flooding last month accumulating up to six inches in some areas. While the sewage drains and pumps remained fully operational throughout the storm the quality design of our Lombard Storage Facility kept our building and property out of harm’s way.
At our facility in Lombard, 5.8” of rain was funneled from our roof, away from our storage building and deposited into drains around the perimeter of the property. The retention pond filled to capacity, but receded nicely the next morning.
Although the Village President had declared a state of emergency due to flooding of homes and businesses, our facility remained an island amid the rising water. All day our dedicated staff took calls from concerned customers worried about their stored belongings.
It was a pleasure to notify them that our facility was perfectly safe and dry. If you are considering storing your belongings, chose Safeguard Self Storage and discover why we say; don’t Just Store It, Safeguard It!
~Courtesy of Gil Beres
Safeguard is proud to team up with Mayor Bloomberg and the city of New York to establish the first Self-Storage Operator Code of Best Practices. The new codes will ensure self-storage facilities follow best practices to help prevent against the storage of counterfeit items in storage units.
The “Code of Best Practices” Includes the Following Items:
- Manager walkthroughs will be performed daily and a record keeping system establish where, upon unusually activity, further investigational measures will take place.
- Video recording system to be enhanced to sufficiently monitor the property.
- Tenant record system will require photo ID’s of tenants to remain on file for a year after they move out.
- Rental agreements forbid storage or sale of counterfeit items in storage facilities.
Kathleen McGee, Director of the Mayor’s Office of Special Enforcement issued this statement, “We welcome Safeguard Self Storage as a partner in reducing the proliferation of illegal goods and look forward to working with other storage operators in our continued efforts against counterfeiting”.
Safeguard’s mission is to lead the self-storage industry in product quality, service and value. And, as always, Safeguard will strive for continuous improvement in all that we do. Our goal is to provide high-quality products and services that customers can trust and that distinguish Safeguard in the marketplace.
(Early profile rendering of the Safeguard Self Storage Albany Avenue location in Brooklyn)
We just closed on the purchase of land on Albany Avenue in Brooklyn, New York. Many New Yorkers probably know us already, as 21 of our 60 open storage facilities are in the New York metro area. Why wouldn’t we build a 22nd location in the area? We love it here.
This new facility, which doesn’t have a firm completion date yet (but fear not, we have plenty of other facilities in the New York area to tide you over until then), will have 786 individual units in a variety of sizes. That’s 50,000 square feet of space for all your storage needs.
As is typical of a Safeguard self storage facility, the Albany Avenue location will be designed with security, convenience and customer service in mind. Amenities at this location will include:
- heated and air conditioned space
- a convenient drive-up loading area
- computer-controlled access to the building
- digital/video recording of the property
(That’s a lot of amenities. If there were any more I’d have to rent a unit just to store the remaining bullet-points in that list…ahem…is this thing on?)
Jim Goonan, Senior Vice President of Development, says about this Albany Avenue location:
"The Albany Avenue location, like all of our New York facilities, will be designed to provide an exceptional customer experience. This new facility will complement our product offering in New York and demonstrates our commitment to, and confidence in, this market. As many already know, we have two other stores under construction at this time, one of which will open later this month at Utica Avenue not far from this Albany Avenue site."
Be sure to Like us on Facebook to find out when our new Albany Avenue location will open and to stay updated on everything Safeguard Self Storage.
This Albany Avenue building in New York will soon be a brand new Safeguard Self Storage facility. See below for an artist’s rendering of the finished facility…yes, we’re between artists at the moment.
Welcome to the brand new Safeguard Self Storage blog! Consider this your go-to resource not only for Safeguard Self Storage news, events, and information, but for the world of self-storage at large.
At Safeguard Self Storage, we are passionate about storage and exceeding our customers' expectations. One of our goals with this new blog is to make a bit of our passion rub off on you, the reader and valued self-storage customer. With this goal in mind you can expect the information we bring to this blog will be informative, topical, and perhaps most importantly, entertaining.
Expect to find a wide range of storage advice and insight from our professional Safeguard Self Storage employees, including:
- Responses to questions from our customers: If one of our customers has a question about self-storage, chances are many others do as well. We want to answer them right here, for you!
- How-tos and Tutorials: Packing and storing your belongings isn’t always as straightforward as you may think. We want to help you benefit from our years of storage experience.
- Local events: We understand that storing your belongings with Safeguard Self Storage isn’t just about having confidence in the quality of our storage facilities—including our computer-controlled access, individual unit door alarms, digital video recording, and store-wide intercom systems—it’s also about our people and the communities that we serve. We want to provide you with information about the local events that are important to you and our employees.
- What’s happening in the world of self-storage: We are here to guide you through the world of self-storage. From the many annual self-storage conferences, such as SSA and Inside Self Storage Expo, to the uncontrollable events of our lives—weather catastrophes such as snowstorms and hurricanes or personal life changes such as career and other life changes or cross-country moves—Safeguard Self Storage is here to make sure you understand how self-storage is here when you need help.
We want the information in this blog to be engaging and entertaining, even if you have absolutely no interest in self-storage (Gasp!). That’s why feedback from our customers—YOU—is extremely important. Please, leave a comment below if you have any suggestions or/questions about this blog or Safeguard Self Storage in general. Also be sure to Like our Facebook page as an additional way to stay engaged.
At Safeguard Self Storage our mission is to lead the self storage industry in product quality, service and value.
The photo included in this blog post is of Barbara Drozdowska, Manager of the Safeguard Self Storage located in McCook, IL. Barbara is dedicated to helping Safeguard customers find the ideal storage solution and delivering an impeccable customer experience.